Finessing the 4th Industrial Revolution


Most recently I was announced winner of the Additive Manufacturing Challenge 2019.
This is a move among a series of others I am making to introduce Additive manufacturing to Nigeria. My project was the redesign of the TS Connecting Rod for the Alfa Romeo 2.0 Twin-spark Engine.
But why?

I could not have explained better than this article from Metal-AM on my work:

"Large amounts of used cars that are written off in Europe are shipped to Africa for a ‘second life’. This results in a high demand for spare parts to sustain this life. This relatively simple application shows a huge potential in the spare parts market.
According to Okpamen, Additive Manufacturing allows for distributed localized manufacturing of spare parts in many more categories than the automotive after-market."

"Obasogie Okpamen is a student at The Landmark University, Omu-Aran Kwara State, Nigeria. For his entry, Okpamen redesigned a connection rod for an Alfa Romeo 75 Twin Spark Turbo engine. Although the design was not completely tested yet, the jury stated that they had appointed him winner “because of the example it set.”

This is an idea I have been pushing in recent years through my designs and award entries. I have won a good number of awards in my move to revamp manufacturing in Nigeria.
I hope this sparks an idea in the minds of engineers, technicians and business persons who seek a path towards the industrialization of Nigeria.
Thank you.










Comments

Popular Posts